Currently status in Denmark:
- Currently there are around 162 biogas plants in Denmark producing approximately 9 PJ in 2016 (exact figures are not yet available)
- The business is expanding a lot these years and a new plants are being planned and build.
During 2016 DFFB has, through BiogasAction been working on different tasks in order to promote and fulfill the targets in BiogasAction – especially with focus on WP3. The following initiatives has been established:
- Meetings have been held with municipalities in both east and west Denmark. The challengers are different when you look at east or west Denmark due to the numbers of plants and also the mentality in municipalities.
- There is a merging phase going on between the two biogas associations. This has affected the work in DFFB and has also caused a small vacuum during 2016 but it seems everything will be in order by spring 2017. The meeting has been held with the merging committee, where the role of DFFB has been discussed.
Strengthening the biogas sector framework
- In relation to the meetings with municipalities and the identification of challengers, the project is trying to identify how and where, BiogasAction can support the different challengers in both eastern and western part of Denmark. There has been a meeting of knowledge exchange between municipalities in order to improve planning in municipalities.
- Meeting with the Association for Danish Biogas plants, has resulted in an initiative, that focuses on improvement for insurance issuers on Danish biogas plants. There has never been any competition on the insurance marked for biogas plants but DFFB has discussed this with an insurance company and they are willing to look into the business. Right now a number of plants are dealing with an insurance offer, that could save money. The savings are between 15.000 – 30.000 EUR per year for each plant.
Optimizing business models and financing of biogas projects
- DFFB has been working on 3 projects in the first year and has also been collecting material from other business models and feasibility studies. This biogas business is moving quit fast forward in Denmark due to the good framework conditions and this has resulted in many new plants.
Optimizing biogas production
- Training sessions for biogas plants have been held. There has been held 4 training activities with both board members from biogas plants and daily operators. Focus has been on maintenance, economy and board work.
- DFFB is also working on an education in the ordinary educational system. The education is an vocational education, that takes 4½ year. It is called “Process operator” and is a combination between school activity and work on a biogas plant. It is going to be launched in 2017.
- DFFB is working together with the University on a tool to optimise the use of biomass in order to produce more biogas.
Assistance to specific high quality biogas project development
- New pretreatment plants for biomass have been developed within this project. DFFB is assisting two plants – approximately 50 mill dkr. in total.
- DFFB has also assisted and is still helping a plant in order to expand the production.
- DFFB has participated in a replication activity in Poland in order to promote biogas. This has been in cooperation with IBBK from Germany.